Our DNA is our genetic blueprint of who we are.
About 85% of our DNA is set but the other 15% is mutable or changeable. Epigenetics is that part of the DNA that is alterable. Epigenetics is that area where our DNA meets the environment, the study of non-DNA heredity. It has literally become the epicenter of modern medicine because it can help explain the relationship between an individual’s genetic background, the environment, aging, and disease.
One common denominator of aging is the acquisition of genetic damage throughout life. What is pertinent to DNA injury is that research has shown that damage to the repair mechanisms of DNA result in accelerated aging.
We all don’t want to prematurely age.
The fact that individuals suffer from chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, and cancer is a result of many cases of environmental factors that existed before birth.
The fact is, that an individual who has cancer, heart disease, or diabetes can in many cases be traced back to certain environmental insults that occurred as the organism develops.
Based on this knowledge from the past few decades a great effort has been placed in order to identify the epigenetic landscapes of aging and age-related diseases and to interpret them in the framework of aging theories.
One process of aging is that of reduction in methylation of DNA, which has been associated with frailty and markers of biological age. Methylation is the method where by the DNA repairs itself and as individuals age, the methylation process seems to slow. So flaws in the methylation process of DNA are equivalent with the onset of aging and chronic diseases of aging.
Science now has the capability to measure your genes and nutritional status and direct the best course for individuals to follow to achieve maximum health based on their individual genetic and nutritional composition.
There is no use in trying different fad diets to lose weight or different exercise programs to determine the correct type of fitness for your system. Science can directly tell you – through gene and nutritional analysis – what diet you should eat and how you should exercise and even which supplements you need.
Whatever your needs are: losing weight, improving health, better fitness, or aging slower, I can help. The companies I rely on for your testing are top quality. You need an expert in this field that understands the science and how to interpret and utilize the information. Once I have your unique individual results, I will craft a program based on meeting your goals and aspirations. I will discuss how your lifestyle habits can specifically affect your aging.
Let’s talk now!
Jack Palmer, MD